- 3 celery ribs (chopped fine)
- 2 red delicious apples (peeled and cut into small chunks)
- 1 golden delicious apple (peeled and cut into small chunks)
- 1 pear (peeled and cut into small chunks)
- Juice of one lemon
- Juice of one orange
- ¼ cup dates (chopped)
- ½ cup pecans (chopped)
After preparing the first four ingredients, add dates and half of the pecans, and pour half of the lemon/orange juice over the celery, apples, pear, dates and pecans, stir to coat, and set aside while preparing the dressing . Make dressing by combining the other half of the pecans with the reserved lemon/orange juice and puree into a nut butter sauce. Add puree to the salad and stir to blend flavors. Serve on a bed of leaf lettuce.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Yields: 10 people
1 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1 tablespoon poppy seeds (optional)
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine sunflower, sesame and poppy seeds in a blender. Blend until combined.
3. Add oil and maple syrup, blend again until mixture resembles dough.
4. Roll dough into several long pieces and place them on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Yields: 10 people
2 cups almonds, raw
1 cup pecans
2 cups walnuts, raw
2 cups pumpkin or squash seed, raw
2 cups dried cranberries
1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
1. In a bowl mix together almonds, pecans, walnuts and seeds. Cover with water and soak overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
3. Rinse and discard soaking water.
4. Add cranberries and add olive oil. Mix until everything is coated well.
5. Spread the mixture out evenly on baking sheet and place in the oven for about 20 minutes or until you can smell the roasting nuts and they start to turn a lot.
6. Cool and store in air tight glass container.
• Try any nuts and dried fruit you like.
• The nuts and seed do not have to be soaked or can be soaked for a few hours, but doing so helps their digestibility.