Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Yields: 4 people
1 medium onion, chopped 2 parsnips or carrots, chopped 1 tablespoon sesame or olive oil
1 cup red lentils, washed
5 cups water
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon sea salt
Chopped parsley or scallion for garnish
1. Heat oil in a pot and sauté onion and parsnip for 10 minutes.
2. Add washed lentils and water and bring to a boil.
3. Skim off the foam. Lower the heat, add cumin and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
4. Add the lemon juice and salt. Simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
5. Serve in individual bowls and garnish with parsley or scallion