This post may seem a bit out of the ordinary for those “Fight against cancer” articles, but what I will say is TRUTH. You can fight cancer with more than surgery, chemo and radiation! Sometimes the Doctors tell you to not eat fresh fruits and vegetables because of the pesticides and bacteria, etc that are on the outside of said foods… and because of the weakened immune system, the body can’t fight off more bacteria. I know of many friends and family who are fighting cancer in many ways- both with medicine or with holistic alternative ways- or a combo of both. I am not here to talk negative about either. The person and families going through the cancer has the right to decide what is the best option for them and their body. Practicing the power of positive thinking will actually improve the immune system and our minds more than negativity!
So instead of continuing to ramble, I want to give you some information on the importance of keeping homeostasis in your body. Homeostasis is a medical word for keeping your body at a stable and balanced level. Such as the pH level of 7 is right at homeostasis. This can be from eating a balanced diet of alkaline and acidic foods so your body pH is not too alkaline or too acidic. Did you know cancer will thrive and grow in an acidic environment? So the opposite of that is to eat more alkaline foods so you can starve the cancer cells and hinder their growth! Here are some good resources for information… I am not going to reinvent the wheel! AAA, AcidAlkalineDiet, The Alkaline Diet by Emma Deangela. I got a lot of useful information from Emma. She was able to give accurate information because of her own testimony.
Most foods are higher in anti-cancer properties when they are eaten raw or slightly steamed/cooked. The nutrition stays in the food when it is steamed versus cooked in water. If you pour the water down the drain, you are pouring the nutrition down too- as the majority of nutrients were cooked out and left in the water. Many times, I save the broth or water off of home-canned foods or things I steam/cook and freeze it in a container. When it is time to make soup, thaw your “broth” and it makes the BEST tasting soup base!! So full of nutrients!
Here is a partial list of other foods that aid in fighting against cancer-
- Cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, bok choy, kohlrabi, rutabaga, turnips and brussel sprouts. They contain phytochemicals that help prevent your DNA from getting changed by cancer cells.
- Onions, garlic, scallions and chives- minced or crushed and not overcooked. These foods assist in fighting off free-radicals – those things that are in the air which causes an apple to turn brown or a nail to get rusty when exposed to the wrong environment. Free radicals are also known as “bad guys” and attack the cells in our bodies when we are in polluted air or heavy chemical smells. ( I know the air we breathe is polluted, but there are some places we can avoid to reduce the amount of free radicals!!)
- Citrus fruits such as oranges, lemons, grapefruits and limes are loaded with Vitamin C and are powerful antioxidants!
- Strawberries, blueberries, boysenberries, cranberries etc are “berry” good in fighting cancer with their natural chemicals of anthocyanin and ellagic acid.
- Green leafy vegetables… all those things mother told you to eat as a child!! 😀 The veggies with dark green and floppy leaves, including wheat grass, are full of antioxidants and carotenoids to fight cancer!
- Tomatoes contain lycopene, which is the antioxidant that makes tomatoes red. The other red fruits and vegetables such as guavas, red grapefruits and watermelon are full of lycopene too!
- Fresh herbs and spices such as basil, rosemary, tumeric, ginger and parsley all play a part in fighting cancer. They contain flavonoids and other antioxidant properties.
- Foods with the trace mineral selenium like mushrooms, seafood, chicken and wheat aid in fighting cancer. However, doctors suggest no more than 55 micrograms a day. Moderation is the key as too much selenium can be toxic!
- B vitamins like folate help build healthy chromosomes. Foods like beets, squash, melon, fresh green leafy vegetables and fortified cereals will increase your folate. This will prevent a deficiency of folate which leads to many different cancers. Microwave use will destroy folate and many other nutrients, so learn to NOT use a microwave and prepare your foods on the stove.
- Eating a diet high in fiber will decrease colon or colorectal cancers. You can get insoluble fiber from brown rice, fruits, beans, vegetables, wheat bran and whole grains.
- Omega 3 fatty acids also fight against cancer. Your healthy oil intake needs to be balanced between Omega 3’s and Omega 6’s. Too much of 6 may subject your body to tumor growth. Omega 3 foods are salmon, tuna, mackerel, herring, flaxseed oil, walnuts & green leafy vegetables while Omega 6 foods are eggs, milk, processed grains and anything containing corn or soy oils (fried foods, restaurant fast foods and margarine) and red meats with saturated fats. (in the photo below, even ants know what is Real Food!)
Well, folks, I am not a fancy writer or blogger, but the truth is still the truth. There is a lot of talk about the Feds and Big Pharma trying to hide the fact cancer can be overcome. I am only here to present truth and you can take it or leave it. And just remember…
Fighting for true health,
- “Eat and Heal” by the Editors of FC&A Medical Publishing
- “The Nutrition, Health and Diet Program” , Lesson 1, Ashworth University
- Coach Shannon’s Common Health Sense